Click here for mistranslations
Vegetarian diet means longer life
The Times, Friday, June 24, 1994
By Jeremy Laurence, health services correspondent
PEOPLE who eat a vegetarian diet have a sharply reduced risk of developing
cancer and live longer than their meat-eating friends, researchers have found.
A study of more than 5,000 vegetarians who were followed for 12 years showed
they had a 40 per cent lower risk of dying of cancer and a 20 per cent lower
risk of dying of any cause compared with a group of 6,000 meat
The researchers, from the London School of Hygiene and the University of
Oxford, say the results show that a diet based on cereals, pulses, fruit and
vegetables is healthier than one based on meat and dairy products. However,
they say the findings do not yet provide a justification for giving up meat.
- He said the building is a home for underprivileged
children under construction.
- He was also ordered committed to an impatient alcohol
- Food Stamp Recipients Turn to Plastic..
- They said they're committed to the basic tenants of
- Securities Dealer Is
- Police Officers Complete Crime Course.
- Prevent Injuries to Baby-Microwave Safely.
- Lung Disorders Meeting.
- About 235,000 Americans have their portraits taken by
professional photographers every day.
- Drop in High School Test Scores Are No
- A plague bearing his name will be placed above the
concession stand at the ball field.
- We guarantee to replace all defected parts.
- Japanese Race Appears Reduced to Three.
- He said he likes to watch the sun go down on horseback.
- Congress Votes for Running Trains Over Union Workers.
- City Gets $250,000 to Combat Drug Program.
- KBG Chief Gave Plans to Bugs in U.S. Embassy.
- U.S. Advice: Keep Drinking Water From Sewage.
- Woman Receives Doctorette.
- Doctors discovered his ankle had been fractured in five
places during surgery.
- She was one of eight children born to Walter and Irene
Smith on Feb.13, 1892.
- The judge found him guilty of driving while suspended.
- A couple sustained minor injuries when their car was
hit by the East View Mall yesterday.
- He went on the lamb when it was discovered that the
money people had given him to invest was missing.
- This week I'm going to skip my usual diatribe about our
- The proposed measure calls for optional pre-divorce
- Our agency has been providing home health care to
people in need for 125 years.
- The family spent six days in Florida, during which they
were treated like realty.
- He's the sinningest high school
football coach in city history.
- Tattoo Artists Leave Their Mark on Wide Clientele.
- Shown here is a tired wedding cake, the centerpiece of
any nuptial celebration.
- Florida Reporter Completes Sentence. (We guess
they'll get out a special edition when the reporter creates a paragraph.)
- The lower organs of the Party in Britain must make
still greater efforts to penetrate the backward parts of the proletariat.
- This headline rattled us: "Police Hunt for Deadly
Snake Owner Reported Missing. (Just slithered away, we guess.)
- Convicted S&L Chief Donated to University.
- An antique mirror was stolen, and police are looking
into it. (We suppose they're reflecting on the evidence before them.)
- Man robbed, shot by teen in fair condition. (Maybe
the teen should join a health club.)
- He said he got the play idea one night when he was
thinking about football and fell asleep on the coach.
- Officials said they believe the fire was started by a
living room chair.
- We bet this headline writer would like to bury this
mistake: "Study: Dead Patients Usually Not Saved." (We guess
they have bodies of evidence to support this finding.)
- Parking Lot Floods When Man Bursts.
- The Senate bill chops scores of projects, including a
study of swordfish mating to the chauffeurs of two government bureaucrats.
(We guess the offspring would be useful if you wanted to drive home a
- School Superintendent Stands on Principal.
- The requisites for broad interface are not necessarily
contingent on our inability to attain enhanced operational flexibility.
- The beer will be marketed to over one million of the
emigres now living in the U.S. in 12-ounce bottles, 24 to the case.
- The technical seminar will discuss chemical means of
growing Super Trees in Conference Room B.
- The discussion will include plans for widening the
Danube to accommodate Slovakia.
- Man shows improvement after being hit by shovel
- The Pentagon today was urged to keep all agency
employees exposed to the AIDS virus.
- Any staff member incurring reimbursable expenses should
submit a travel voucher with the receipts attached to his department head.
- The fire was extinguished before any serious damage was
done by the fire department.
- Squad Helps Dog Bite Wictims
- Weather Report: Sunny with a few cloudy periods today and Thursday,
which will be followed by Friday.
Please send YOUR bloopers to me at email@example.com.
Your contributions will be appreciated and included in this collection.